Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Business History continued
Prev  |  Next
Buster's Service Station

L. G. "Buster" Corley started Buster's Service Station July first, 1940 when he bought the station from "Lute" Hayes. August first, 1940 he bought the bulk plant from Mike Funderburk and named it Buster's Oil Co. Marvin Bolt was hired to help operate the station. Buster operated the tank wagon and serviced farmer's gas and fuel for tanks. February 1944 he hired Tom Dever as mechanic to run the repair shop with Buster's help. They sold three grades of gasoline, selling seven gallons of third grade for one dollar. There was an old visible hand pump for this gas. They sold White Rose gas from 1940 until 1943 and Marathon until the business was sold to C & F Oil Company in 1980.

Ration stamps were used during World War Two. These stamps were more important than money, as gas could not be purchased without them. They had to be banked the same as money.

In 1943 Buster hired six additional men to help in the garage during the war. The old cars had to be repaired, for new ones could not be purchased. It was also very hard to find new parts until 1954, so they made or repaired the old ones.

After C. A. Turner's business of sixty years was destroyed by fire, Buster bought his tank wagon and bulk plant. With the help of his son Dennis, who was in high school at the time, they ran both trucks. In 1962 Buster bought a larger truck and hired Jim Moll, then Robert Rhoades and in 1970 Bill Beck. Bill worked until the business was sold to C & F Oil.

Others who helped Buster operate the business during those forty years and four months were: Art Frailey, "Slim" Snyder, Bob Jones, Harold Pope, Raymond Thompson, Bob Gilmore, Junior Corley, Leroy Moon, Robert Donaldson, Jim Donaldson, Harvey Frailey, Max Miller, Joseph McManmie, Chester Horn, Bill Stark, Dean Chandler, Carlene Corley, Marvin Hayes, Ray Moore, and Elmer Pope. One day Elmer repaired twenty nine flats by hand. The last one blew out after one-half block of running.


Richeson's Store

In the spring of 1960, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. (Cobe) Richeson purchased the Torrence and Kesler Store in Herrick, Illinois, from Olga Kesler. They operated this store until the end of December, 1972.

This store quickly became the meat market of the area and drew many customers from Cowden, Ramsey and Pana as well as the local trade. Cobe, as he was called by everyone, bought and sold eggs and retailed meats, produce, groceries and dry goods.

A partial list of employees were Bessie Taniges, Edith Adams, Faye Hadley, Marcella Sarver, Verna Redman, Doris Moutrey, Barbara Price, Ilabelle Sarver, Doris Redman, Pauline Montgomery, Jerilyn Cole, Carolyn Robertson, Shirley Smith, Ethel Crouch, Pam Jones, Virginia Otto, Viola Brown, Cheryl Ann Burrus, Sandra Manuel, Myra Seaton, Shirley Kirkendoll, Margaret Manuel, Karol Perkins, and Laura Whittington. All served as either clerks or meat cutters and several served in both positions. Bill Lanter served as meat cutter and Oral Horsman, Harry Mills, Danny Bowling, and Sam Sarver were active in making repairs to the store and the equipment.

The store was robbed on an average of once a year and each time relieved Mr. Richeson of the obligation to sell cigarettes for awhile.

During the late 60's, the area was visited by a small earthquake. No damage was attributed to it, but it did knock the cereals and a few other lightweight grceries off the shelves.

Soon after Cobe bought the store, it became headquarters for Illinois Power Linesmen. Paul Spooner and Lloyd Perkins were serving as linesmen at the time. Light bills were collected at the check-out counter.

On April 5, 1973, a community auction was held to sell the property, the remaining merchandise and the equipment.


Beauty Shops

The first beauty shop in Herrick was operated by Nettie Williams Brown, wife of Harlan Brown, and Mildred Duduit Carroll, wife of Joe Carroll.

No hours were scheduled. Early 4 a.m. appointments and late night appointments if the customer so desired. Haircuts and neck trims were free, shampoo and fingerwave or iron curl - 50 cents. Permanents ranged from 1 to 5 dollars, rarely over 5 dollars. Free combings after each hairdo. Both operators attended the Edith Heller School of Beauty in Decatur, Ill. After ten years this shop was sold to Bonnie McNeely and moved to Tower Hill after a short period of time in Herrick. Nettie moved to Fairfield, Ill. where she operated her shop.

The second beauty shop was operated by Eva Sloan Hayes, a graduate of Alton School of Beauty, and coming from Hillsboro, opened for business in the Justin Hughes building on South Broadway. After a period of time she moved her shop to the Earl Wilson building. She occupied part of the building and Earl's Barber Shop, the remainder. She was also located in the Printing Shop building. She continued her business for several years. When she accepted the position of substitute assistant postmaster, she sold her shop to Mrs. Faythe Bumgardner Sarver. After the death of husband "Jock" Hayes she became assistant postmaster and continued as long as her health permitted.

The third shop was owned and operated by Faythe Bumgardner Sarver in the Printing Shop building, later moving to her home in the east end of Herrick. They moved to Toledo, Ohio where her husband, Forrest Sarver was a telegraph operator. Their next move was to Kokomo, Indiana later to the St. Louis area. After the death of her husband she moved to Charleston, Ill. where she continued in the business until she married Homer Cochran.

Genelle's Beauty Shop was operated by Genelle Corley Horn, wife of Chester Horn. She attended a Beauty School in Decatur, graduating in December of 1958. She opened her shop in her home in March of 1959 and was in business for 10 years until they moved to Moweaqua in August 1969.

Lucille Dever, Ileene Richards Wehrle, of Cowden and Vera Sarver Seely, of Raymond attended the school at the same time as Genelle.

Lucille Denver was a graduate of the Beauty School of Decatur, Ill. and graduated in 1958. She operated her shop at her home in the east part of Herrick. She moved to the "Goose" Condiff place where she operated her shop in a trailer. She closed her shop and moved to Albuquerque, N. M., where she worked for two years. She was in this business for 6 years.

In 1962, Betty Smith and her sister Joyce Brown started to Beauty School in Decatur. It was almost a year before they graduated. They didn't go on Saturday because Betty had a husband and two young children to look after. Joyce was busy too!

After graduation, Betty put her shop in her home, north of town. Joyce still lived with her folks, so she put her shop there. About 1 1/2 years later Joyce got married and moved to North Dakota to be with her husband, Jim Nanace, who was in the Air force. About this time, Betty moved her shop into town in Russell Crouch's old building. She was there until she and Lyle built their new home in Rabbit Town.

Meanwhile, Jim's 4 years were up in the Air Force, so they moved back to Herrick. They bought Joyce's folks house, Joyce's folks bought Lyle and Betty's house and Betty and Lyle moved into their new house in town.

Joyce had her shop in her home, but with 2 small children she didn't work in the shop much. Later, Joan Taniges asked Joyce to work for her for about 6 weeks. Joan decided not to return to work, so Joyce moved a shop to Herrick in the Sam Cothern House.

Carol smart, wife of Kenneth Smart, a graduate of Dorthy Chrysler's Beauty School of Effingham, opened a shop in November of 1971 in the Sloan property owned by Paul Sarver. In 1974 she moved the shop to her home east of Herrick.

Pat Finley, wife of Perry Finley, and a graduate of a Chicago School of Beauty opened her shop, the "Patty's Walk In", in her home in the Frances Dixon property. Later she moved her shop to 6th street in Pana. Later she closed shop and moved to Decatur.

Shirley Rhoades attended Lakeland Beauty School in Mattoon, Il. She opened and operated a shop in the former Frances Dixon property. She continued in business for some time and then moved to her home in the east part of Herrick. She married Don Waller and moved to Macon, Il.

Valerie Smith, wife of Tony smith, a graduate of Escondido, California College of Beauty opened a shop in the north end of Herrick in 1977. Also in connection with the beauty shop was a gift shop owned and operated by Val Smith and Linda Miller, wife of John Miller. This shop closed in 1981.

Prev  |  Next