Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Village of Herrick
Prev  |  Next

Herrick was first incorporated in 1888. It included as far east as J. D. Burrus, as far north as John Burrus, and John Dobbs, as far south as Jack Smart and William Hadley and as far west as T. E. Myers and J. J. Moon. The town increased in habitants and in 1891 it was incorporated under the laws of the state of Illinois. The village adopted an ordinance, elected officers and proceeded to business. The first mayor was G. S. Bolt.

R. J. Oare and his wife, Sarah, ran the first hotel. They were commonly known as Uncle Jack and Aunt Sarah and no one hunger was ever turned away from their door. The hotel was located in block 6 on the west side of Broadway. After Aunt Sarah died in 1893, the hotel was run by Frank Kelly and after that by John I. Frailey. In about 1900 the hotel was moved back on the lot and a store building was placed on the corner. Other businesses included Otis Sloan and J. H. Sutton, general stores; Dr. McNutt, drug store; Corley's Hardware; Oare's Barbershop and the Wright McClanahans livery barns.

Opera In 1888, Otis Sloan built an Opera House. About this time Burrus School house was moved to a lot on the southeast corner of what is now Carroll Park. In 1891, the school district sold the schoolhouse to H. M. Tallman for an implement shop. It was the finest building in town at that time and it was moved in 1893 to the sight of Turner's Warehouse (south of R. R. on east side of Broadway). This Tallman family left Herrick, and later founded Tallman Cadillac in Decatur, selling John Deere farm machinery and Chevrolet cars.

Saloons were licensed in 1883. Frank Adams was one of the early saloon operators. In 1897 the dry ticket defeated the wets for the first time in the history of Herrick. Then in 1898 the license ticket was again in the majority, so liquor was once more for sale.

In 1895 Basye's 1st addition to Herrick was surveyed and lots were offered for sale. Logan Nance and C. W. Kesler opened a general store. Jake Torrence and Harry Kesler later ran this business.

J. H. Sutton founded the first bank in 1896 and was sold a few years later to George Huffer and his father-in-law, Mr. Studebaker, who moved it to Coffeen. Mr. Green organized what later became the State Bank in 1904. It became the State Bank in 1905, with Mr. Myers as its president.

The jail and village hall were built when the town was incorporated and later (1915) the new brick village hall was built on lot 12 block 4 of the original town of Herrick.

Herrick1 In about 1885 W. F. Corley came to Herrick and started a hardware and lumber business in and old frame building located in block 3. Willis Corley ran this store in a paying way and prospered until about the summer of 1900 when he sold to C. W. Kesler.

Otis Sloan and his brother John had a general store for about two years. John was killed in a wreck and Otis continued the business. Later he built a two story building on the northwest corner of block 7 in 1888 and served as a general store on the ground floor. The upper story was used for an opera house and here all the main gatherings of the town were held. The room also served as a roller skating rink and theatre.

Sloan continued in business until he traded out to Sam Langdon, the father of "Nig" Langdon the famous baseball player, in about 1896 or 97. Langdon later sold to Farris and Cannon. This building later burned in 1901.

Herrick2 Joe Sutton moved his general store to block 6 just north of where Bill Moon's building was located. Joe also ran a brick kiln on the east hill of the section on the county line. When his son, Les, came to live with him he built a new building on the corner and used the south room for a warehouse. Sutton and Son continued in business until Joe's death in 1893. Les ran the store about a year and sold out to Otis Sloan and frank Smart. Their store burned in 1900. Later they opened with what was saved from the fire in the old room north of W. F. Corley's two story building.

Otis Sloan retired from business for about three years and returned to business until 1926 when the building was burned. Sloan then retired to his home and farm south of Herrick.

Herrick4
Prev  |  Next