Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
    Herrick 1925-1935
Prev  |  Next

Herrick, as John Bumgardner first remembers from his early childhood, about 1925-1935. We shall come to Herrick from the north and proceed south and John will tell what he saw or remembered.

Stopping at the present four way stop and proceeding south two blocks, on the west, was a large two story weatherboarded white building. It was located in then southeast corner of what is now Carroll Park. It was Herrick Grade School. Continuing south, on the west, was and is a large two-story concrete block building with a concrete porch across the entire front. This was Herrick High School for a number of years. John started High School in the fall of 1931. Community Sale

It was the year of the "Great Depression." Like most people and places at that time the Village of Herrick had financial troubles. Though streetlights were on the poles in all the major spots, the town was in debt and unable to pay the light company. Consequently for a time there were no streetlights. South of the High School was a gymnasium in 1932.

Next to the gymnasium was C. W. Kesler lumberyard. Next to the lumberyard, Mrs. Kesler had a notion shop with a doorway opening into C. W. Kesler's hardware store on the corner. This was a large two-story building (known later as the Other Place), and it had a hitching rack for horses on the street along the south side. In front of the hardware store was a public well. This corner was the main intersection in town.

Proceeding south on the east side of the street was Mrs. Nowlin's grocery store. It was a small building set to itself. There was an empty space and then a small building sided with tin. To get inside the front door you first took a pretty good step up and many were afraid to take it, for inside Dr. Aaron Fogle practiced dentistry. In John's mind's eye he can see Aaron with one foot moving up and down on the treadle to drive his drill. It cost about one dollar to get a tooth pulled or filled in those days. Next to and adjoining Dr. Fogle's dentist office was the Gem Theatre of Welling Bolt. It was a good theatre, complete with stage in front, a music pit complete with piano, then rows of reserved seats placed on a gradual incline.

John will tell us about the west side of Broadway in block 6 and then tell us about the east side of Broadway in block 7.

The first building after crossing the intersection was Sloan's Department Store. Behind that and across the alley west was the Telephone Office of the Herrick Mutual Telephone Company. South of Sloan's was Bill Moon's Café. Next was the old print shop. Here the Herrick Bulletin was published once a week. Alice Lowe set type here as John remembers.

Corley's garage came next. John R. would fix any part of your automobile and sell you gasoline from the pump at the sidewalk out front. Next came Tim Casey's meat market. He handled all the fresh meat in town and some groceries too. Then came the Herrick Bank. Ed Bender was the cashier. The next building was Scott and Milt Woolard's barbershop. Next was a restaurant, then came the post office. South of the Post Office was the Nickel Plate Railroad.

Now back up the street on the east side (block 7) we start with Torrence and Kesler's General Store. Jake Torrence and Harry Kesler was a landmark in town. East of the Torrence and Kesler store a bit was a garage building and on east of that was the office of Dr. Beck, the veterinary.

South of Torrence And Kasler was the hardware store of Charlie Wallace. He was also an undertaker and the first thing John remembers about his store is seeing two empty coffins in there. In the summer Charlie often sat in front of the store in a chair under the overhead canopy and close to the best well in town. Then came a small two-story building where Charlie Stafford and Maggie had a café downstairs and a hotel upstairs. Next to the hotel was a little old building that was often empty.

Next in the open place set back from the walk was a small house used for Drs. Office. Then came the Nickel Plate Railroad on the east side of the street. Here the depot was sitting on the north side of the tracks. On the south side of the tracks and on the east side of the street and next was a driveway then the scale office of Justin Hughes. Here you could buy coal or get anything weighed for a dime.

Next came a large storage building used and owned by Manie Turner whose fancy garage was adjoining on the south. South of Turners was an empty lot with another good town well. Then came a large block building. In the north half in front, Mrs. C. F. Lee had a hat and dress shop for ladies. In back of Mrs. Lee's shop and the entire south half of the building was the Herrick Community Equity Exchange always called the "Farmers Store".

Back across the street on the west side at the railroad track was "Hay" John Sarver's scale office and feed building. Behind that was the stockyard where livestock was sometimes received or shipped on the railroad. Down the railroad a piece from there was the creamery where whole milk was bought and shipped to St. Louis on the Nickel Plate Railroad. Back up on Main St. was a driveway then a block building. In the north half was a grocery store and in the south half was a harness shop. Along the south side of the building was a hitch rack. Then came an empty lot to the corner.

Back behind the Farmers Store a way was a red barn where Bill Holman had a blacksmith shop. Further east by the railroad was the old gristmill.

John has told us of his old hometown as he remembers it, to him we give special thanks for sharing. Thanks to earlier histories given by Charles Plowman, Sarver Brothers, W. E. Beck, B. F. Lowe, C. W. Burrus, C. W. Kesler, A. W. Oare and George Beck, we have been able to bring you the proceeding sketch of Herrick.
Staffords Restaurant

Loafing in front of Stafford's Restaurant are L. to R., Clarence Frailey and Milo Buck.

Prev  |  Next