Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Blacksmith Shops
Prev  |  Next

Blacksmith shops, which were necessary in horse and buggy days, were one of the first enterprises to open up for business in the town, and soon after the town was laid out in 1883. Wm. Clark moved over from New London. He said he had moved his shop from several towns to some other town, but it was the first time a town ever moved off and left HIM. Another pioneer blacksmith was John Warren, who operated a shop on the lot just south of Dr. Beck's office. He was also a gunsmith, having made guns, etc. for the confederate states, but came north to get away from such work.

Next we have the shop owned and operated by John Adams (deaf) which was built on the lot across the alley, east of the Equity store, and like Lonfellow's poem "A Mighty Man Was He, with strong and Sinewy Hands," he did a good business until he retired.

Mr. Clark sold his farm over by Beck's Creek and took up smith work in Herrick. The new shop was built and rated one of the best shops in the country. Finally Mr. Clark retired on account of old age and turned the shop over to his son, Jesse. Later Wm. Holman leased the shop and did a good business until he traded his Herrick property for a farm in Loudon Township.

There are others we made mention as pioneer blacksmith. Among them: Elijah Linn, Alpha Musser, Wissis Donaldson, the Clark boys and Ed Coe.

Blacksmith Shop

Wm. Clark's black smith shop around 1900.

Prev  |  Next