Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Bricks in Herrick Buildings
Prev  |  Next

Taken from the Family Tree of Anna Berns Barlow (Mrs. Louie Barlow).

In 1898, Nickolas Berns married Franziskas Storm and bought the Beck's Creek Brick Farm north of Herrick. On this farm were many clay hills. The idea of making bricks came from friends, Ellinger Bros., who had moved to Terre Haute, working in a brick factory there. They then visited Nick Berns, examining the clay. They told him it was perfect for brick. Frank Berns and stepbrother Hubert Storm, as small boys started helping their father make brick.

Pits 20 feet across, 3 feet deep were dug, the clay dug out, hauled in wagons to put in pits. A big wheel of some sort was fixed in pits to grind clay. A long pole was attached, a horse hitched to one end to power the grinder. After clay was ground, water was added to right consistency, then poured into molds, each mold held 8 bricks. Molds were sprinkled with sand to prevent sticking. Bricks then turned out on the ground to dry a certain time, then carried into large shed, stacked just so with space of air between. When enough were made (3,000), bricks then went into kiln over slow fire to bake day and night for 3 weeks, then sold to people of Herrick and Oconee. They were hauled away in wagons.

Several buildings in Herrick stand yet today made of these brick from Old Nick Berns Brick Yard. Mr. Berns then started buying cement from Herrick to make field tile.

Fire destroyed this business in 1909.

Prev  |  Next