Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Business History
Prev  |  Next
Wallace & Carroll

About 1907 "Charlie" Wallace owned and operated a Hardware and Furniture Store, also a Funeral Service centrally located in downtown Herrick on Broadway. Mr. Wallace served his apprenticeship under Fred Stumpf of Stumpf Funeral Homes in Tower Hill and Pana. His first funeral was Civil War veteran, Charles Munson of Tower Hill, who was making his home with the B. F. Lowe family of Herrick.

After Mr. Wallace died the two businesses continued to be operated by Ethel Wallace and son, Joseph Carroll. They purchased the Lorton property and opened the first Funeral Home in Herrick. Joseph "Joe" Carroll died in 1962. The two businesses were operated by Ethel Wallace and Mildred Carroll, wife of Joseph Carroll, with the help of Max Claggett of Brownstown, at the funeral home.

After the death of Ethel Wallace in 1980 and Max Claggett in 1982, the funeral home is continued on with the assistance of J. R. Dodson of Dodson Funeral Home, Pana, and formerly the Stumpf Funeral Home, Pana. Mildred carried on the hardware business alone.

For over 50 years there was an ambulance service connected with the funeral home and for over 20 years it was operated by Mildred Carroll assisted by Carlene Corley.


Torrence And Kesler

The history of Torrence and Kesler began very early after the founding of Herrick. A. W. Oare relates that Logan Nance and C. W. Kesler opened a general store on the east side of block 6 and continued in business for one year. Then Nance moved to Cowden. About two years later Nance returned with his brother-in-law, Jake G. Torrence and opened a general store in a frame building where the Stafford Hotel later stood. This building burned in 1901, a new building was erected on the northwest corner of block 7. Torrence and Nance continued in business until Nance died about 1906. Harry Kesler then bought Nance's interest in the store and gave Herrick the firm of Torrence and Kesler.

Fred Lindhorst used the back room for an undertaking parlor. He stored his caskets and did embalming there in the back room. He later moved to Ramsey.

A few employees include Mont Jones, Newell Welch, Levi Carlock, Ellen Dobbs, and Faye Hadley. Newell was employed from 1931 to 1960. They sold all sorts of supplies. They sold anything from "tailor made" suits, shoes, barbed wire, nails, household goods, school supplies to groceries. They hauled their groceries from Mattoon, Ill. It was a real "general store". They bought butter and rabbits, tested cream, and handled eggs.

Many sales were made on a credit or trade. That is where the old saying "I'm going to do my trading" comes from and is even used today by the older generation.

Jake and Harry ran a coal office, gravel pit, and elevator during the W.P.A. times.

The store had a long interesting "life" span. It was sold in 1960 to Cobe Richeson.


Kesler's Hardware Store

Charley Kesler's hardware store was a place where one could find bowls or harnesses. It was a place where several men of Herrick loafed; Billy Whittington, Frank Beck, Bill Brewer, Lloyd Beck, "Hay" John Sarver, and "Hay" Jim Sarver to name a few. They often dropped in to visit while sitting around the pot bellied stove.

When Charley Walker came to town with his seeing eye dog he would say, "Let's go to Charley's"; and the dog would take him right to Kesler's Hardware store.


Herrick Canning Factory

John Burrus purchased the canning factory in Herrick in 1916. He sold shares to individuals and it became known as the Farmers Equity Canning Factory.

Fruits and vegetables were canned; the main product being tomatoes. The workers were given an aluminum token for each bucket of tomatoes they peeled. At the end of the day, they were paid a certain amount per token as a day's wages.

The produce was put in tin cans and processed by being submerged in deep-water vats.

The canning factory was in a large building with a loft located where the Christ Tabernacle parsonage now stands. It was sold in 1919.

 

Relief Commission Canning

The Relief Commission is installing a scientific, sanitary and up-to-date canning unit in the large room in the post office building for the purpose of taking care of anything you wish to can. Cans, sugar, salt, and other things necessary will be furnished.

This canning center is one of three established in the county and is intended to serve the territory within a radius of ten miles.

Neighbors in all communities should get together and gather up these products, then use a pick-up truck to bring them in while fresh.

Work for those not on relief canning will be done on a 50-50 basis, divided in the can. Get further information from the foreman. Dated 1934.

E. E. Burrus Grocery

E. E. Burrus opened a Grocery Store in 1927, which he operated for 6 years, selling the store and bought a farm southeast of Herrick where they lived for 3 years. In 1936 he bought the Alice Nowlin Grocery and in 1937 moved the store to a larger building, operating this grocery until 1944 when he sold to Frank L. Sarver of Detroit Michigan. He went across the street and into the Furniture & Bottle Gas Business, where he remained until he passed away in 1954.


Central Garage

In 1918 John R. Corley and Noble Shellenbarger, brothers-in-law, bought the J. A. Hadley and Sons Garage. The Hadleys moved to Colorado. John and Noble operated the garage, at that time working mostly on Model T Fords. One special customer, "Cap" Williams, owned a large seven passenger Pierce Arrow Touring car. About 1925 Noble Shellenbarger acquired a rural mail route out of Herrick and sold his share of the business to John.

John continued to operate the garage, located on the west side of Broadway Street, with the help of his family and Brady Sanders as mechanic, until 1932. He later rented the building back of Torrence and Kesler's General Store. The building was known as the Doctor Beck building. Later he moved back to the original place on Broadway and operated the garage with the help of Junior Beck as mechanic until 1940.

At that time John and Jessie went into full time restaurant operation in the block building on the west side of Broadway Street.

In 1940 a son, L. G. "Buster", was also operating a service station and tank wagon business just across the street. They said they hoped people would stop for gas either coming or going.


Keith's Kozy Kafe

This eating place, opened in 1938, was misnamed. It should have been called John and Jessie's Place.

In 1938, with characteristic unselfishness, John R. suggested and Jesse and Keith enthusiastically agreed that: a wooden counter would be built for the "office", a three burner kerosene cooking stove and a spare wooden tables and chairs would be used to convert part of the Central Garage into an eating space.

With help and guidance from his father and mother, Keith's Kozy Kafe opened one Saturday in the summer of 1938. On the first day of business, free hot dogs and lemonade were served. On Monday, things got serious when customers were charged five cents for a hot dog. A soda pop firm agreed to furnish a pop cooler; customers deposited a nickel, the top was raised and a bottle of soda was taken from a slot.

Demand for larger hamburgers increased, so in addition to a five-cent hamburger, a ten-cent hamburger was introduced. Meat was purchased from the Burrus Grocery and kept refrigerated in the pop cooler. There was no plumbing, but water was carried from the town well, located north of the Kafe. When this well was dry water would be carried from a well across the street in front of Butch Stafford's Hotel. Later a pipe was run from a well in the repair shop to the Kafe for the luxury of running water. Still, there was no drainage for dishes washed in the sink in a dishpan; except a large bucket placed under the sink to catch water. It invariably ran over at inconvenient times. The teakettle provided hot water.

At first Jessie cooked meals for the family only. Before long customers were wanting meals. The first lunches cost a quarter; later, with a piece of pie, the cost was thirty-five cents. A small piece of pie was five cents, and a large piece went for ten cents.

Keith attended Sparks Business College in Shelbyville and became a court recorder. He took the Civil Service Examination and was notified that he was being assigned as clerk-typist in the War Department in Washington, D. C.

John R., Jessie and John Junior carried on the restaurant business, moving into larger quarters in 1941. In 1943, due to failing health, the restaurant was sold; John R. returned to farming and Jessie continued in her faithful service to the community, part of the time as a school cook, but all the time as a family-oriented mother. as a family-oriented mother.


Herrick Tavern

Joe Dick Burrus spent his entire life and raised his family in the Herrick area. He owned and operated Joe Dock's Tavern in the forties. It was located in the south part of Herrick. In 1946-47 it was operated by Paul Gibson and Lynden Austin. When the township was voted dry it was sold and remodeled for a home by Ethel Shellabarger.

Prev  |  Next