Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Hay Barns
Prev  |  Next

Herrick came to be located where the new railroad crossed the old Vandalia-Shelbyville railroad between Ramsey and Tower Hill, north and south, Cowden and Oconee east and west. The territory surrounding this new town site produced all kinds of farm crops, such as corn, wheat, oats and other cereals, as well as clover, timothy hay for feed, potatoes, fruits and livestock of all kinds. These products were all produced in abundance and shipped in car lots to various markets at the proper time for shipment for the different products. Something was sent out every week in the year, which kept money for business and some to put into a baank account.

Owing to demand and prices for timothy hay, farmers began to plow up the corn lands and sow timothy for hay and this led to the establishing of "hay barns" for the storing of the hay until a better time to ship it to market. We have been told by an old resident that the first hay barn was built west of ---(part of article torn away, but names of Mr. Luster and George Moutrey are printed). Resuming article: buyer and hay shipper to locate in Herrick. He sold out to Jerry Mueir and began manufacturing hay presses at Shelbyville.

During the Boer war in South Africa, hay was pressed into bee-hived shaped bales and shipped from this town to feed British cavalry horses in that far off land.

Other prominent hay dealers were Vern Langdon, who had the misfortune to have a barn burn on the lot across from Mrs. Nettie Frailey's place; another dealer was Oscar (Chronicle) Frailey; but perhaps the most extensive dealers in hay were the Sarver brothers, nick-named "Hay" Jim and "Hay" John, who bought and shipped thousands of dollars worth of this product, until the automobile and truck began to drive out the horses and create a new source of power. Alas, this once flourishing business, like the old mill, became a thing of the past with nothing in sight to fill its place.

Prev  |  Next