Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Carroll Memorial Park
Prev  |  Next

After much discussion and persuasion, in July of 1957, Mrs. Nanon McKee agreed to sell the three lots on the location of the former Herrick Grade School. Having agreed to the terms of the letter in which Mrs. McKee said, "No more bickering," a committee of three went to Shelbyville, purchased the three lots, and had the deed recorded with The Village of Herrick as the buyer. Don Snow was mayor at the time.

By permission of the owners, the complete block had previosly been used for a park. Mr. Frank Fogle granted permission for two outdoor toilets, with storage room between, to be built on his lot. Mr. Ollie Jones erected the building, and later the lot was purchased, with the Herrick Village listed on the deed as buyer.

The Park Committee persuaded the Village of Herrick to purchase the last four lots from Frank Whittington. The Village Board agreed to place two lights, one at the north end, and one at the south end, but any other lights were to be paid by the users of those lights.

Money for the pavilion was raised by selling tickets for prizes and a dinner. Hay wagons were used for tables for a smorgasbord dinner and for the stage for the entertainment. Everyone had fun!

Next, the pavilion was built, all with "free labor". Harvey Burrus and Ollie Jones spent seventeen days straight working on this project; and Sam, Herb, and Dugal sarver were faithful until the completion of the building. Many, many people both in town and the country helped in some way. It really is a "community park".

Three picnic tables were donated by Max Cook, Perryman Lumber of Cowden, and Hughs Lumber of Decatur. Advertising was sold to obtain lumber for more picnic tables, and the ads were hand printed, in red, on the tops of the white tables. Again, all labor was donated.

After some friendly persuaision, the Lions Club agreed to sponsor the addition of the kitchen. Under the direction of Earl Wilson, the Lions raised money, paid for, and laid the concrete floor.

Later, Mayor Maggy Conn, had the two buildings connected, so in rainy weather people could be protected going to and from pavilion to kitchen.

As crowds became larger, and the Lions Club sponsored Forth of July celebrations grew and grew, there arose a need for better rest room facilities. Again, Lions agreed to sponsor this. Howard Hinton and Orville Carter were responsible for laying the blocks, with the help of many others. Bob Saunders helped with all the plumbing, which works well to this day.

Before being used as a park, the land on which the park is located was a wilderness. The brush was cut, piled, and burned; and tons of bricks were bulldozed out by Earl Wilson. Ollie Jones, with help of others, cleared the lot and hauled away the bricks. The raised flower bed at the south end of the park was a part of the old school fire escape.

Note (not part of the history book): The concrete flower bed in the south-east corner of the park is the foundation of the old school fire escape, turned up-side-down. It was pushed there with a buldozer when Nelvin Wilson & his Dad removed the stumps to make the park in the fifties.

The park was kept up with neighbors and others mowing the lots. Picnic tables and buildings were always painted with donated labor and paint. The Herrick Boy Scouts were willing workers at the park. Gertie Mounts did much to beautify the grounds with her flower beds.

In 1979, the name of the park was changed to Carroll Memorial Park in recognition of the selfless contributions from the late Joe and Mildred Carroll.

The park has become a welcome place to hold Forth of July celebrations, showers, receptions, parties of all kinds, and has become a busy center for rummage sales.

Prev  |  Next