Skip Navigation Links
Galvin Home
GenealogyExpand Genealogy
HerrickExpand Herrick
What's New
Contact Us
All information on this site is available
for Non Commercial Use Only.    

This Site Last Updated 10/2/2011

Skip Navigation Links
Herrick History Home
History 1883-1983Expand History 1883-1983
Hayes' Herrick Huckster
Becks Creek Mill
Pioneers of Herrick
School Class PhotosExpand School Class Photos
Discussion Forum
   Rabbit Town
Prev  |  Next

"Rabbit Town" is located "South of the Border" or across the county line road (in Fayette County) south of First Street and was named Rabbit Town in the early 1900's, due to so many rabbits being there. It started with about three houses located in the nine-block square. Ervin Beck, who was a resident for sixty-five years, recalls printing and selling "The Herrick Herald" newspaper for two years, selling later to Mr. Barnes, who moved the newspaper up-town, also, printing a "Trail Hound Magazine" for hunting dogs.

A few years later more houses were built with the Big Boom of homes coming after 1967, with two houses being moved in, five new homes built, and eight trailers added, making a total of twenty-eight residences in Rabbit Town in 1983, with a population of seventy-five people, twelve dogs and unknown population of rabbits.

They also had, in 1983, a printing press, beauty shop, heating and air conditioning business, laundromat, and log house.

At one time the largest dog kennel in the world was located in Rabbit Town, "The Kaskaskia Hound Kennels."

Prev  |  Next